Roasting an amazing Alberta free range chicken is easy, nutritious and delicious. Here is a delicious lemon chicken recipe. Our Cut Rite Meat chicken from Alberta farmers makes a fantastic meal for the whole family with economical left overs for salads, sandwiches, and wraps the next day. Use double the cooking time if you are using a big chicken. Always use a meat thermometer.
Jimmy recommends meat you need:
- SPECIAL: 5 Really Big Whole Chickens $2.50lb (Free Range)
- Chicken Breasts 4lb Bag
- Whole Chicken Fresh From Farm (Free Range)
- 1 (3 1/2-lb.) chicken
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 lb. baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Pat chicken dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Tie legs together and tuck wing tips under the body of the chicken. (If you have time, let rest in fridge for 1 hour, or up to overnight.)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Fill a 9"-x-13" baking dish with onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and garlic and toss together with oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Place chicken on top. Brush chicken all over with melted butter and stuff cavity with lemon and most of the thyme, reserving a couple sprigs for garnish.
- Roast until juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the thigh reads 165°, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Tent chicken with foil and let rest 15 to 20 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and carve.
- Serve chicken with roasted vegetables.